Part Three Cloze
There are ten blanks in the following passage. For each numbered blank, there are four choices marked A, B, C and D. Choose the best one and mark your answer on the ANSWER SHEET with a single line through the center.
But let no one think that pleasure is immoral. Pleasure in itself is a great good, all pleasure, but its consequences may be such 31 the sensible person eschews certain varieties of 32. Nor need pleasure be gross and sensual. They are wise in their generation 33 have discovered that intellectual pleasure is the most satisfying and the most enduring. It is well to 34 the habit of reading. There are 35 sports in which you can engage to your own satisfaction after you have passed the prime of life; there are no games except patience, chess problems and crossword puzzles that you can play without someone to play them with you. Reading suffers 36 no such disadvantages; there is no occupation-except perhaps needle-work, but that leaves the restless spirit 37 liberty-which you can more easily 38 up at any moment, for any period, and more easily put 39 when other calls press upon you; there is no other amusement that can be obtained in these happy days of public liberties and cheap editions at so small a 40 . To acquire the habit of reading is to construct for yourself a refuge from almost all the miseries of life.
31. A. this B. that C. these D. those
32. A. his B. its C. it D. him
33. A. who. B. which C. that D. whom
34. A. acquire B. learn C. modify D. change
35. A. few B. many C. little D. bit
36. A. of B. from C. out of D. in
37. A. in B. from C. at D. with
38. A. get B. hold C. take D. look
39. A. below B. into C. across D. aside
40. A. cost B. lost C. moment D. point
Part Four Dialogue Completion
In this part, there are ten short incomplete dialogues between two speakers, each followed by four choices marked A, B, C and D. Choose the one that most appropriately the conversational context and best completes the dialogue. Mark your answer on the ANSWER SHEET with a single line through the center.
41. Host: John, come and sit in the sofa. Dinner will be ready in a minute. Could I get you something to drink?
A. No, don't trouble. I've drunk enough
B. No, you couldn't. I'm not thirsty
C. Yes, please. I'd like some Sprite
D. Yes, you could. I'd like some Coca cola
42. Clerk: Good morning. Can I help you?
Miss Chang: Yes, I'd like a one-way ticket to Manchester 8:15 tomorrow evening.
Clerk: Fifteen pounds, please.
Miss Chang: ____________.
A. Here you are B. Here it is
C. There is the payment D. Take the payment, please
43. Robert: What are you doing?
Ellen: Trying to get this wine stain out of the carpet.
Robert: Hang on. There's some soda in here. It should take the stain right out.
Ellen: Really? Hey, _________
A. it really is functioning B. it really is working
C. it really is playing D. it really is influencing
44. Alan: My schedule this afternoon is an absolute mess. Between 3:30 and 4:00 I'm supposed to be in four different places. There's no way.
Adam: I've done that before. _________?
A. Anything I can help you B. Something I can help you
C. Anything I can help you with D. Something I can help you with
45. Tom: I see in the paper they're sending more equipment to space. And we might have to live there someday.
John: __________! I'm staying right here!
A. Never I B. Not me C. No me D. None me
46. Cindy: ___________?
Rebecca: No, what happened?
Cindy: They let him go as he is suspected to be cheating.
A. Did you know John B. Did you like John
C. Did you hate John D. Did you hear about John
47. Salesman: Good morning. Planning to buy a new Car today?
Salesman: What kind of car are you looking for?
Customer: Something that has enough room for my family.
A. I'm just looking around B. I'm just looking everywhere
C. I'm just looking here and there D. I'm just looking all the cars
48. Customer: I'm looking for a new living room set.
Salesman: We have a lot of very nice sets. What style do you have in mind?
Customer: _________. What I need is something comfortable.
A. I really don't think B. It's really not necessary
C. I really don't bother D. It really doesn't matter
49. Guest: I'd like a room with an ocean view, please.
Clerk: I'm sorry. _________.
A. Those rooms are all ordered B. Those rooms are all taken
C. Those rooms are all owned D. Those rooms are all held
50. Customer: ______.
Waiter: I'm sorry. Didn't you order fried shrimp?
Customer: I ordered fried chicken.
Waiter: Oh, all I heard was fried shrimp. Let me have kitchen redo this for you.
A. Sorry, this isn't my dish
B. Excuse me, this isn't what I paid for
C. Sorry, this isn't my order
D. Excuse me, this isn't what I ordered