10. Many students are signing the petition against building a steelworks near the school.
A) names B) agreement
C) request D) disapproval
11. Your appraisal of the current situation is quite different from mine.
A) optimistic B) compliment
C) agreement D) estimate
12. They are boycotting the store because the workers are on strike.
A) looting B) banning
C) protecting D) destroying
13. In the final contest, two athletes are contending for the championship.
A) satisfying B) happy
C) competing D) quarreling
14. The computer's value will depreciate by half in the first year.
A) decrease B) increase
C) keep low D) fluctuate
15. China Telecom is about to embark on a major program of computerization.
A) propaganda B) finish
C) purchase D) undertake
l6. The candidate has given a pledge that he will improve the local environment and invest doubly in education.
A) promise B) declaration
C) proposal D) possibility
17. There has always been an epldemic or bike stealing in schools.
A) a theft B) a punishment
C) a plague D) a crime
18. It is in Chongqing that the next international symposium on environmental protection will be held.
A) debate B) conference
C) seminar D) negotiation
19. Many people suspected the existence of extraterrestrial life.
A) snowman B) outside the earth
C) spiritual D) underworld
20. In case your liabilities outrun your assets, you may go bankrupt.
A) debt B) enterprise
C) controversy D) bondage
21.After the fierce quarrel, they began to have a __________ loathing for each other.
A) boring B) reciprocal
C) friendly D) standing
22. On the stage many pieces of blue silk were fluctuated to ________the sea waves.
A) simplify B) simulate
C) help D) like
23. The government lacked money because of biting oil________.
A) prices B) stations
C) buildings D) revenues